If you’re a pup parent looking for pet-friendly things to do in Claremont, California, you’re in luck! We think California is one of the BEST dog-friendly states. Plan a visit to the charming college town of Claremont. Just 30 miles east of downtown Los Angeles, you’ll find plenty of activities to enjoy with your furry friend. From walks around the scenic college campuses to exploring some of the local businesses, your cool canine is sure to enjoy tagging along. There’s something for everyone—including Fluffy and Fido—in the city of Claremont. Here are just a few of the best pet-friendly things to do in this beautiful Southern California town.
Take a walk around the beautiful Claremont Colleges. These institutions may not have puppy training or dog training programs, but the pet-friendly campuses are impressive!
With seven different liberal arts and graduate colleges nestled within its borders, Claremont is a great place to take a walking tour with your dog. Not only will you get some exercise, but you’ll also get to tour the different campuses. Learn about the history of the colleges as you explore the lush greenery and well-manicured grounds. Claremont Colleges are absolutely stunning, and there’s plenty of space for your pup to run around. Make sure to keep your pup on a leash and clean up after them, of course! Breathe in the fresh air and take in the sights and sounds of this idyllic college town. You’ll get barks of approval and happy howls for taking them.
Photo courtesy: Citrus Grove Distillers
Grab a bite to eat at one of the many dog-friendly restaurants in Claremont Village, Plaza Square or The Packing House.
After working up an appetite on your walk, head to one of Claremont’s many pet-friendly restaurants for a bite to eat. Whether you’re in the mood for some authentic Mexican food or a delicious burger, you won’t have to leave your your K-9 BFF behind. Your happy animal companion will be sure to appreciate being able to dine al fresco with you. Visit restaurants like The Last Drop Café for breakfast or Gus’s BBQ for dinner. Here is a complete list of all the restaurants you (and your pup) will be able to enjoy together:
- Casa Maguey
- Crepes de Paris
- Dog Haus Biergarten
- Espiau’s Mexican Restaurant & Bar
- Euro Café
- Gus’s BBQ
- Last Drop Café
- Le Pain Quotidien
- The Lounge Casa 425
- The Spot Cafe
- Union On Yale
Go for a hike in the local mountains on some dog-friendly trails with your four-legged friends OR try a local pet park closer to home.
Did someone say go for a hike? Man’s best friend loves dog friendly trails and there are a few great places to take your paw-some pets in The Claremont Hills Wilderness Park. Located at the base of the San Gabriel Mountains and the Angeles National Forest, you’ll find the Claremont Loop, a five-mile walk out-and-back with some smaller trails mixed in. Be sure to always identify sources of shade and bring tons of water so you and your pet stay well hydrated.
The Thompson Creek Trail is a little over four miles out-and-back and is generally considered an easy route, although it takes about an hour and a half to complete. These pet-friendly trails are popular places for birding, hiking, and running, especially with locals, so you’re sure to see other people and puppy pals exploring the outdoors.
If your dog is decidedly just not the kind of pup that likes ruff’in it in the wilderness, then the Claremont Pooch Dog Park is the perfect place for socializing. Chill on a bench with a coffee while your dog sniffs out all the action and wanders around among the wolf-packs. There are separated small and large dog areas. Finding other ‘dog park buddies’ your pooch will like is no problem at all.
Visit the local dog groomers and pet shops for some pampering, food and toys, Oh BOY!
If your dirty doggy needs a bath and some pampering after running around in the mud, Claremont has multiple dog grooming places that can transform them into handsome hounds once again. Just make a local dog grooming appointment at any of the most pet-friendly stores in town.
- The Village Mutt: Here you’ll be able to learn about pet health and nutrition, all while getting some quality time with your furry BFF. This one-stop shop makes it easy for you to give your pup a bath without having to clean up! They provide all-natural shampoo, towels, aprons, and more for an enjoyable grooming experience for you and your dog. You’ll also find an array of products to purchase for your pup. They have everything from yummy dog treats to sporty leashes and collars. It’s the perfect place to stock up on all of your pet essentials while supporting small local businesses.
- Hair of the Dog: This professional dog grooming salon has been pampering pets since 1987. Groomers are well trained and experienced in all breeds. There is also a daycare area with an “open view” so you can see what the woofers are doing when you’re away.
- Michelle’s Dog Grooming: Caring animal lovers and friends of the Humane Society, there when the dogs go wild and ready to clean up your favorite mutts. They are experienced dog groomers, friendly and kind to all the four-legged friends. Their shop has a safe, clean and open environment for the dogs and the best quality grooming products. They also give haircuts with style to the oodles of poodles and best buds that visit.
Specialty Pet Stores and Pet Sitting in Claremont
- The Pitbull Store: A resource for all things “DOG” as they strive to break breed stigmas. If you’re looking for LUXURY pet supplies like designer leashes or Limited Edition pet beds, this is the place! Products include dog grooming supplies, health and wellness supplies, doggy toys and tasty pet treats. You’ll find something here for all breeds, that will have them feeling like a “DAWG”.
- Pawsh Pets: Pet resort and spa in Claremont. They offer all inclusive play time for cats and dogs. There are individual climate-controlled rooms with comfy beds and soothing classical music over surround sound. Massages and nature walks are available upon request for your posh pets too. This is the perfect place if you’re doing an activity in Claremont that doesn’t allow pets; for example, The California Botanic Garden, which is a MUST-SEE!
Try out the local distillery, brewery, or winery with your barking bestie and call it a pet-friendly “Yappy Hour”!
If your two greatest passions are drinking beer (cider or wine) and petting your dog, then guess what? In Claremont, you can spend the afternoon doing both at some of the coolest brewing spots in town.
- Claremont Craft Ales: This industrial warehouse-chic brewpub pours a variety of house made ales, IPAs & stouts. They have game nights, food trucks and tasty beer flights that are out of sight. Bring the kids, the dog, the whole family and kick back for the afternoon with a brew or two. You’ll feel so at home, you won’t want to leave.
- Ironbark Ciderworks: An uber-fun place with an outdoor space. Dog lovers everywhere love the name! Cider is crafted with no sugar, no sulfites and no preservatives. It’s also vegan, paleo and gluten free. The taste of Ironbark Cider is dry, sparkling and delicious. Most importantly, sip your cider knowing this colorful establishment happily allows your pets to kick back as well.
- Packing House Wines: This premier wine shop, bar, and restaurant is in one of the most historically recognized buildings in Claremont. The rustic wooden patio area is the perfect spot for you and Fido to relax, as you sit underneath the shade of the many beautiful trees. You can purchase wines from around the world and enjoy them with a charcuterie plate. Don’t forget to bring a dog treat for your furry friend. Bone appetit!
Stay for a weekend! Dog-friendly vacations are the best, especially when the town is full of pet lovers and the hotels are pet approved!
If you love to go on vacation with your dog, Claremont has two pet-friendly hotels suitable for fur-ever friends that work with your budget. Both are great places to stay in Claremont and we love that dogs are always welcome!
- Hotel Casa 425 + Lounge is in the heart of the walkable downtown village of locally owned boutiques and restaurants. This courtyard hotel with inviting guest rooms is extremely dog-friendly. Dine alfresco at the Lounge for Happy Hour and enjoy fresh California gastro-pub type fare and crafted cocktails. Your pup will love relaxing in the intimate outdoor setting.
- Motel 6 Claremont is ideally located in the center of Claremont, CA. They love dogs and make sure your pooches feel just as pampered as you do. Enjoy the large grass lawn and picnic tables, tennis courts and dining options all within walking distance. Cool off in the refreshing swimming pool after a day of exploring Claremont with your furry friend.
Claremont is a wonderful town for people and it’s—most definitely—a great place to bring your four-legged friends. As a pet owner you’re probably always on the lookout for things to do that are both fun and pet-friendly. There are plenty of great options in the charming city of trees and PhD’s! From dog-friendly parks and restaurants to pet-friendly stores and events, Claremont has something for every pampered pooch. So, whether you’re taking your happy animal companions for a walk, or you just want to enjoy some time in the company of other friendly dog owners, Claremont is the perfect destination. Be sure to check out any (or all!) of these great pet-friendly things to do in Claremont, CA the next time you visit!