The Garner House in Memorial Park is home to Claremont Heritage. Herman and Bess Garner built the Spanish Colonial Revival house in 1926 and lived here with their three sons for many years. At the time with 5000 square feet, the home was one of the largest residences in town with exemplary wrought ironwork, oak and cork flooring and a complex, interesting floor plan. Under the care of Claremont Heritage, the house has become the city’s center for historic programs.
The Mission Revival-Spanish Colonial Revival style depot was built in 1927 by Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad, and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. The station was renovated at a cost of $2.8 million and reopened for Metrolink use on December 7, 1992.The interior now also houses the Claremont Museum of Art.
Along Foothill Blvd. find original buildings from “the mother road’s” heyday, including Wolfe’s Market (now shared with The Meat Cellar), the Old School House (home to Candlelight Pavilion), the former Griswold’s Stone Cellar and Inn (now Buca di Beppo and DoubleTree Hotel by Hilton Claremont), and the former Tugboat Annie’s boat-shaped restaurant (now Sushi Maru).